The sky has awoken bright and clear in Aboyne this morning. With great visibility the opportunity to get out in the hills to stretch the legs and to take in some majestic views arises. Here are some tips on powder walking:
1. Wait for the weather to give you a clear blue sky day or at least favourable conditions
2. Choose a walk that you have done many times before i.e. you know it well. It is amazing how such familiar surrounds look so different when under 50-100cm of snow.
3. Equipment, map, compass and in terms of clothing, Gators are the top tip. The powder snow can get everywhere, especially when its up to your knees. A band around the sole of the boots is also invaluable to save the gators riding up. Carry plenty of liquids.
4. The walk will take up to 2 or 3 times as long and it will be tough going so keep an eye on the clock. NB. day light is still short. Leave information on your plans and arrival time back.
5. If at all possible walk with a partner, helps with sharing the burden of breaking new ground. Life is better to share any how!
Lastly remember a camera. The views will be stunning.